<$BlogRSDUrl$>

14 March 2011

Deleting System Tool

It was like sitting in the dentist’s chair for a well-executed root canal. My computer had been infected by a virus, which goes by the name of the spy ware software it tries to sell you, “System Tool.” On good advice, I contacted Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials) and soon found myself talking to a young lady, Kit, in the Philippines.

After taking control of my computer with MS Easy Assist, Kit patiently scanned all the files on my computer deleting all the “Junk Files” and, apparently, whatever was causing my screen to be overcome with windows that professed to find 38 infected files. It then offered to clean them up with a “System Tool” that I could buy for a charge of $59.99. My computer was prevented from using any of the “infected” program files, showing small captions that continually popped up at the bottom of my screen.

Need I say more? At the end of my 2 ½ hour session with Kit, including the installation of MS Security Essentials on my desktop, the virus appears to have been eradicated. Her excavation of my hard drive was long, but painless—as if Novocaine had been skillfully administered and the drilling was accurate and effective. Upon leaving my chair in front of the computer I anticipated the kind of relief that has often made oral surgery a welcome ordeal.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?