<$BlogRSDUrl$>

26 February 2016


Three Reasons We Appear to Be Sicker Now Than Before

People my age seem to have more afflictions than I remember my parents’ generation suffered from.  There are at least three reasons I have this impression:

1)      Medical diagnosis methods and technology are vastly improved.  There are many more illness conditions nowadays, although it may be that we have just identified more of them.

2)      Communications have much expanded our personal awareness of the afflictions of our fellow human beings; in days past we were just not cognizant of how badly off the rest of humanity was.

3)      All of us are living much longer than our predecessors.  Because we are older, we experience many illnesses that our predecessors never lived long enough to encounter.

Would we trade longer lifetimes for fewer illnesses?  As long as our faith in the advances of science lasts, I guess not.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?