<$BlogRSDUrl$>

03 August 2020

K-12 Textbooks and Racial Bias 


I didn't have any black or even non--Eastern European-heritage classmates in Chicago until I went to high school.  "Amos and Andy" was the most exposure I had as a kid to African-American culture. I don't have any of my grade school textbooks, but I'd be surprised if they even said anything about the treatment of slaves in the American South or of the Jim Crow era.  My only vague recollection is of scalawags and Carpetbaggers during Rcons
truction.   I was in grade school during the last years of the Great Migration.  We were influenced by our local community to stay away from the southeast part of the city dominated  by blacks, as much because of fear as because of discomfort, if not embarrassment.  I don't remember any African--American classmates at Georgetown University; I had two African-American classmates in graduate school.  So my exposure to the non-white population only really began when I started to work for the dederal goverment in D.C.  Even after that, I was cocooned in a nearly uniform white and Asian environment throughout my years of work and living.  My children had few African-American classmates in their school careers, but now they are both married to Asian-heritage spouses.  

That's a long introduction to my belief that cultural exclusiveness is as efficient a method of inculcating racial bias as government propaganda, like textbook editing.  The "South Pacific" song, "You've Got to be Carefully Taught," applies equally to social and to formal education.  



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?